Skip to main content

Review of Prisoner 521 by M.A. Kos

Hell, as seen in Dante's Inferno, is used as a literary device by authors time after time. The author Dan Brown even wrote 'Inferno', which he has now followed up with 'Origin.'

'Prisoner 521' is the story of a morbidly obese man's metaphorical journey through the nine circles of Dante's Hell. What makes this book different is that it talks about a morbidly obese man's relationship with food - gluttony - and how that contributes to his descent into hell.

In M.A.Kos's book 'Prisoner 521', the writer details the life story of Jack, who weighs as much as 600 pounds at one point, with searing psychological insight into the way he thinks that makes you look deep within your soul at your own reactions to the morbidly obese.

The first chapter 'Sin' was delightfully original and described the obese man's relationship with food. The last line of the chapter 'Your food, just like your family, can make or break you.' lays the ground for what was to come in the rest of the novel.

In the second chapter, 'The Fall', 'Jack' who is the protagonist of this novel talks into a camera and tells his story. He starts with his childhood - abusive mom, alcoholic dad, but he does it without trying to seek pity. He seems to have accepted and understood the role they have played in his decline. He talks about his feelings, or rather, a lack of them when his mother died. That scene reminded me of 'The Stranger' by Albert Camus.

In the next chapter, Jack talks about the odd jobs he's held and his difficulty finding blue-collar jobs due to his appearance. Then, he describes his experience at 'coitus'. Yeah! Just like the geeks in Big Bang Theory, he doesn't call it sex, or even intercourse. It's heartbreaking when the woman doesn't want anyone to know about it and he perfectly understands.

He quotes the Fat Bastard saying “I can’t stop eating. I eat because I am unhappy; I am unhappy because I eat.” and talks about the 'circle of gluttony'.

He then talks about his business venture, and the downward spiral his life takes after that. As the cliche goes, it is darkest before dawn. And Jack finds that his life is going to look up very soon.

How he makes money, wins his true love, manages his 'weight' issues, and makes peace with his past forms the rest of the story.

 Jack, is painfully honest, witty, and well-read. 

This reminds me of Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie's TedX talk on 'The danger of a single story'.
Jack, being a 500-600 pound man has the danger of being viewed only as a morbidly obese man. He can be labeled that for life and learn to live with the label. This book reveals to the world that Jack is so much more than the single story of obesity that you see when you lay eyes on him. He is a wise, funny, self-aware, self-deprecating good human being, who is probably pretty hard on himself and fights to get out of the circumstances he is in. 

Yes, Jack is our hero. Heroes truly come in all shapes and sizes.I recommend this read to people of all sizes. 'Skinny' ones so that they know what it's like to be 600 pounds, the obese and the morbidly obese, who can get consoled that they are not alone...and know that they can have a happy ending.

It also serves as a warning to those who are in the BMI of 40 and above to take stock of their food choices and exercise their way to good health.

It is available for free on KindleUnlimited

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Book Review of 'Bitch Goddess for Dummies'

Recently, I attended a zoom session on chick lit by the Chennai Lockdown Literary Festival (CLLF). In the session, one of the speakers was Maya Sharma Sriram. I was so impressed with the way she conducted the session and answered the questions that I decided to pick up her chick lit novel, ‘Bitch Goddess for Dummies’ brought out by Rupa Publications in 2012. And I was not disappointed. I’m not sure if I was biased toward the book by the personality I had seen on zoom or not, but I quite enjoy chick lit and have read several chick lit novels in my thirties.   So the novel is about a 27-year-old woman Mira Iyer who decides to transform her personality from good girl to ‘bitch goddess’ to deal with the people in her life. Her mom who is constantly trying to fix her up with some eligible guy so that she can get married and Sanya, the real office bitch who is always cosying up to their bosses and vying for a promotion, are just two of the people in her life causing her angst. So it’s goodby

Blogging with a Purpose - Theme Post

I’ve loved books since I was a child. I vaguely recall the 'Ladybird' series of books that I read as a child, but the first novel I remember reading was ‘The Mystery of the Burnt Cottage’ by Enid Blyton that my mom brought home for me to read from the library when I was in Class 4. I then finished the children’s books section in library after library in my neighbourhood. Reading has served me well since I now work as an editor. Reading was what filled my hours as a child and kept loneliness at bay. Reading is what helped me find myself at age 40 when I got back to the habit after several years of reading sporadically. I now average about 25 books a year that I track on Goodreads .  I’ve had the opportunity to interact with quite a few authors online and offline. My cause for the Blogchatter #BloggingWithAPurpose campaign is "promoting authors." There is a popular joke in the publishing industry these days that there are more authors than readers. Authors a

A Different Approach to Fairy Tales

CARTHICK'S UNFAIRY TALES BY Carthick Blurb A damsel in distress. An evil dragon. A concerned father seeking a savior to rescue his daughter. A hero galloping off to the rescue – a knight in shining armor. Now THAT is stuff of fairy tales. But what if the father’s real concern is for the dragon’s hoard; What if the damsel’s reason of distress is the marriage proposal by her pompous and vicious savior; and what if the story is told by the horse who bears not only the overweight knight but also his heavy, shining armor all the way to the dragon’s lair and back, facing certain death in the process? What if there was more – much more – to all your favourite fairy tales than met the eye? This book chronicles not one but seven such unfairy tales – tales told by undead horsemen and living cities. Tales of mistreated hobgoblins and misunderstood magicians. Tales of disagreeable frogs and distressed rats and bears baring their souls. Once you read these